Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Parish, Cebu City
Establishment of a Recollect convent in Cebu upon the request of Bishop Pedro de Arce. Located outside the walls of the City, it had a chapel (hermitage) dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of Mary.
The worse economic crisis made the Recollects Contemplate on abandoning the convent. But the Augustinians helped them by giving them the missions of Cotcot and Nahalin (Danao). Later on, a church was built in the place of hermitage which came to be known as Recoletos Church.
January 2, 1957
Thirty-nine novices made their profession as members of the Third Order of the OAR.
The old Recoletos Church was torn down and gave way to the construction of a more spacious and modern church that could accommodate 1,200 faithful.
March 18, 1966
Consecration of the church by Julio Cardinal Rosales.
January 1, 1971
Canonical Erection of the Parish by Cardinal Rosales under the patronage of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel since the church was the center of Mariam devotion under this site.
Transfer of the new parish office to the basement of the parish church.
Construction of the adoration chapel.
Renovation of the 58-year old choir loft.
1971 Pio Santillana
1971 Francisco Azcarate
1971 Pio SAntillana
1975 Faustino Paglinawan
1989 Jose Ma. Martinez
1991 Victoriano Polestico
1992 Alberto Avanzado
1994 Oscar de la Rosa
1997 Faustino Paglinawan
2000 Emilio Larlar
2000 Cornelio Moral
2001 Domingo Saladaga
ABOUT THE AUTHOR