San Sebastian Parish Manila


A chapel where the basilica now stands was constructed in that land donated by Don Bernardino Castillo, a St. Sebastian devotee. It had the image of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel brought by the Recollects in 1618 from Mexico.


During the Chinese uprising, the original chapel, made of wood, was set to fire.


The chapel made of bricks was destroyed by an earthquake. Only the image survived.


Another strong earthquake destroyed the reconstructed church.

June 24, 1890    

The new all-steel, earthquake-resistant, prefabricated church designed by Don Genaro Palacios who used Baroque and neo-Gothic styles was raised to the status of minor basilica by Pope Leo XIII.


Declared National Historical Landmark by President Ferdinand Marcos through P.D. No. 260.

August 13, 1975               

Jaime Cardinal Sin established San Sebastian as a Parish separate from that of Quiapo.


Restoration of the church, also known as the National Shrine of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, Through the National Historical Institute.

August 18, 1991               

Centenary of the canonical coronation of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel.

May 16, 2006    

Included in the tentative list for possible designation as a World Heritage Site, on account of its architectural and historical heritage.

Parish Priests

1975       Jose Antonio Calvo

1976       German Chicote

1979       Juan Jose Goicoechea

1982       Nicolas Salvatierra

1991       Hermenegildo Ceniza

1994       Samson Siloriquez

2003       Paulino Dacanay

More posts about:

Frei Bo

Frei Bo

Priest-Religious of the Order of Augustinian Recollects, Province of St. Ezekiel Moreno. Webmaster.